Sunday, April 26, 2020

LIFE AT CHEZ NELSON

Many have written to me in emails sending messages of love and encouragement. They are greatly appreciated and since it is Sunday, I will take some time and acknowledge them. Until then, business life goes on. Some of you knew that I had taken on a consignment job for the daughters of a needlepointer who had passed away. Normally I enjoyed this and do it in the background of the regular activities at TWIS. During this time of quarantine, I was not getting much business from TWIS customers, but was getting some wonderful orders from people elsewhere who were referred to me by TWIS customers after those locals realized that I could do business via email and phone conversations. Either people were trying to use up what they had at home, or they finally began to run out of threads or fabrics they needed to do projects. 

In any case, it was insufficient to even provide the funds for all the basics: rent, business insurance, heat, electricity and phone. There wasn't sufficient money to even stay current on some of our invoices that are broken down into two, three or four payments. Large yarn orders are made to try to save on shipping and then you get friendly terms. In this time where knitters want to see the colors and feel the texture, we are selling very little knitting yarn.

When this estate presented itself, I jumped at the opportunity for some cash flow. There was a lot of it and I distributed it in piles in various parts of the store since you couldn't come anyway. Most of the times when I take on projects like this, they come in pretty well organized. This was not the case. I felt like I was getting behind the eight ball on the project so I tried to gather up the threads that were loose in bags and in totes, falling down between canvases. I brought them home, vowing I would stay home today, Sunday. I started last night on my bed while I ran movies on Prime. I made a dent, but then had to make a place to sleep so I hauled it out into the living room to finish today. I had to document the mess for you.


It starts out looking pretty good, doesn't it
 Mess I will deal with later.



 This printer box is still almost half full.



Haven't even started this big tote bag's mess!


Where can you have access to these treasures? You have to join Facebook and ask for access to these Groups:  Good Buy Needlework which I run along with my friend Theresa from Homestead Needlearts in MI. We made a rule to keep people from overtaking the group by limiting listers to 15 items at one time. I have way to much stuff, and have to wait for a purchase and then have the party remit before I can delete the listing. Therefore I have had to also start using Needlepoint Swap Meet.

Just go to the groups and use the search mechanism and put Randi Nelson in the box and my items come up.

There are floor frames and lap frames too which I will picture later here in the blog. These will be available for pick-up at the door of the store, but Lynn has to come in an put some of them back together first so we are sure that we have all the necessary pieces. 

This poor woman mounted most of the canvases that she bought on stretcher bars and then took a few stitches. When I have sold pieces, I have unmounted them to save the buyers shipping, so we will have lots of stretcher bars in the shop at tiny prices. ( I have a gas fireplace, not a wood burning one! )

Now, an early lunch and back to my sorting! Hope you enjoyed this little window on my life.

Randi

No comments:

Post a Comment